Of or overall performance to Argos the capital of Argolis in Greece
- of or relating to the ancient Greek city of Argos or its folks
- a native or inhabitant of this town of Argos
- Of or performance to Argos, the main city of Argolis in Greece.
- A native of Argos. Usually utilized as a generic term, equivalent to Grecian or Greek.
"of Argos," thus, especially in Homeric consumption, "the Greeks," as a byword for Achaean (he describes Agamemnon as master of Argos), 1520s, from Latin Argivus, from Greek Argeios "of Argos."
(a.) Of or overall performance to Argos, the administrative centre of Argolis in Greece.
- (letter.) A native of Argos. Frequently used as a generic term, comparable to Grecian or Greek.
After the conclusion of the peace of Nicias (421 B.C.) he marched against the Argives in defence of Epidaurus, and after skilful manoeuvring surrounded the Argive army, and seemed to have victory within his grasp when he unaccountably concluded a four months' truce and withdrew his forces.