- To strike or throw right down to overthrow
- cause great unhappiness for; stress
- cause real discomfort or suffering in
- To strike or throw down; to overthrow.
- To inflict some good injury or harm upon, causing proceeded discomfort or psychological distress; to trouble grievously; to torment.
- which will make low or simple.
Dreaming of condition typically signifies that you will hear bad development or some sort of tragedy. Instead, maybe you are struggling with inner turmoil and need launch some tension.
belated 14c., "to cast straight down," from Old French aflicter, from Latin afflictare "to harm, harass, torment," frequentative of affligere (last participle afflictus) "to dash straight down, overthrow," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + fligere (past participle flictus) "to hit," from PIE root *bhlig- "to hit" (cognates: Greek phlibein "to hit, crush," Czech blizna "scar," Welsh blif "catapult"). Transferred concept of "trouble, distress," is very first taped 1530s. Associated: Afflicted; afflicting.
(v. t.) To strike or cast down; to overthrow.
- (v. t.) To cause some great damage or hurt upon, causing proceeded pain or mental distress; to trouble grievously; to torment.
- (v. t.) Which will make reasonable or humble.
- (p. p. & a.) Afflicted.
If any think that their influence would be lost there, and their voices no longer afflict the ear of the State, that they would not be as an enemy within its walls, they do not know by how much truth is stronger than error, nor how much more eloquently and effectively he can combat injustice who has experienced a little in his own person.