a childhood beloved by Venus for their beauty He was killed in chase by a wild boar
- annual or perennial herbs
- any good looking son
- (Greek mythology) a handsome youth liked by both Aphrodite and Persephone
- A youth beloved by Venus for his beauty. He was killed in the chase by a wild boar.
- A preeminently stunning son; a dandy.
- A genus of flowers associated with household Ranunculaceae, containing the pheasant's eye (Adonis autumnalis); -- known as from Adonis, whoever blood had been fabled to have stained the rose.
Man loved by Aphrodite, manly beauty.
Name Origin: Greek
Name Gender: Male
"a beau," 1620s, from Greek Adonis, title of this childhood beloved by Aphrodite, from Phoenician adon "lord," probably initially "ruler," from base a-d-n "to judge, rule." Adonai may be the Hebrew cognate.
- hunk [coll.]
- adonis [fig. handsome young man]
- apollo [fig.] [young man of good actual beauty]
(n.) A youth beloved by Venus for their beauty. He had been killed into the chase by a wild boar.
- (n.) A preeminently gorgeous child; a dandy.
- (n.) A genus of plants associated with the household Ranunculaceae, containing the pheasant's eye (autumnalis); -- known as from Adonis, whose bloodstream was fabled having stained the rose.
In any case, the conception of Adonis as a swine-god does not contradict the idea of him as a vegetation or corn spirit, which in many parts of Europe appears in the form of a boar or sow.