A carrying or removing removal
- surgical removal of a body part or structure
- the erosive process that lowers how big is glaciers
- A carrying or taking away; elimination.
- Wearing away; shallow waste.
Removal or excision. Ablation is generally completed surgically. For example, surgery associated with thyroid gland (an overall total thyroidectomy) is ablation associated with thyroid.
very early 15c., from Latin ablationem (nominative ablatio), "a taking away," noun of activity from previous participle stem of auferre "to carry away," from ab- "off" (see ab-) + ferre (past participle latum; see oblate) "to keep."
(n.) A carrying or taking away; removal.
- (letter.) Extirpation.
- (letter.) Wearing away; shallow waste.